The St. Louis Downtown Neighborhood Association (DNA) is a grassroots non-profit that undertakes community building and organizing in order to connect people, create change, and positively impact the historic and economic nucleus of our city and region.
We are supported by grants and contributions by many organizations in Downtown St. Louis. Click here to view our sponsors.
The boundaries of DNA match those the City of St. Louis uses to define Downtown and Downtown West; Mississippi River on the east, Chouteau Avenue on the south, Jefferson Avenue on the west, and Cole Street on the north. If you live or work in this area, then consider joining.
DNA Operating Structure
- Provide input on issues of concern
- Assist the board and committees as needed
- Open to all DNA Members
- Appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the Board
- Committee Chairs will likely spend 4-5 hours per/month on committee business
- Committee Chairs will report to the Executive Director and the DNA Board Member liaison
Board and Officers
- There are a total of 7 Board Members with 4 Officers (Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Secretary, and Treasurer). All officers also sit on the Board, and officers are elected by the Board
- Each board member is expected to become involved with one committee, attend 75% of the board meetings, make a financial contribution to DNA, and attend/assist with other neighborhood events
Chairperson (approx. 2-3 hours/week)
- Call, organize, and run the monthly Board Meetings
- Oversee the work of the Executive Director
- Receive updates from the Executive Director on the work of the committees and share that info with the rest of the board
- Attend meetings alongside the Executive Director when needed
- Activate other Board Members when needed
Vice Chairperson (approx. 2-3 hours/week)
- Share the duties and the responsibilities of the Chairperson.
Secretary (approx. 1-2 hours/week)
- Draft the meeting minutes for Board Meetings and General Membership Meetings
- Present all meeting minutes to the Board for final review and approval and posting to the website by the Executive Director
- Keep an organized file of corporate paperwork alongside the Executive Director
Treasurer (approx. 1-2 hours/week)
- Oversee accounting alongside the Executive Director
- Deliver financial reports during monthly Board meetings
The Executive Director works under the guidance and direction of the Board to handle the day-to-day operations of DNA.